Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." Psalm 34:19

Fibular Hemimelia may not "feel" like anything to Gracie right now, but it "feels" like an affliction to me.  For those who don't know what FH is... FH is described as a congenital partial or complete absence of the fibula. Most of the time it is associated with other lower limb anomalies which could include the femur, knee, tibia, ankle and/or foot. The most pronounced problem is that of a shortened tibia and poor ankle structure. FH is treated by amputation, reconstructive surgeries and/or limb lengthening.  We do not have a treatment plan for Gracie yet, and amputation was not recommended for her.  Right now we could be looking at anything from PT, to reconstructive surgeries and limb lengthening surgeries.  I will post more as we know, but I wanted everyone to have an idea of what FH actually is.

Gracie's right leg is at least 1/2" shorter then her left, and the difference is growing bigger.  She is missing her last 2 toes, and her 2nd and 3rd toes are webbed together.  Her ankle is twisting out and dropped.  According to records we received yesterday, her heel bone seems to be missing as well.  (the right calcaneus was not ossified, but her left was). 

Thanking God for His promise to deliver us from our afflictions, in His timing and His will!

2 comments:

  1. Heather, your post is Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the journey of your precious family with us :) One of my favorite Life Verses is "Without Faith, it is impossible to please God". The mustard seed of faith you & Robert have will grow into the size of a mountain, based on your Trust IN HIM! You inspire me :) God's Mighty Blessings on you all, starr gregory*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you very much Heather and what a little cutie Gracie May is. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see you,Gracie,Robert and Landry when I was back for Mom's birthday. What a wonderful time I had. Landry and I got along so well. I believe the change is mostly from within myself, having more of an appreciation of people, places and things that I now find very comforting. I'll be praying for Gracie May and keep that mustard seed watered with the strength of God. Say hi to everybody for me. Bye Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete